Thread: The Guff of Souls

The Guff of Souls

I have been most curious as to what this is. This is one link that explains it. Please notice the last reply on the bottom where a Laura mentions she has not seen it in the Bible...could be in the parts edited out..that was my thought.

http://www.hebrewresources.com/discu...ch2420020217pm

The guff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hebrew Discussion Forum: Bible Discussion (not so much related to Hebrew language): The guff
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By cara on Saturday, June 2, 2001 - 10:35 pm:
    I am not jewish, but I have family members who are. I had recently heard about "the guff" I had been told it is where the well of souls is.please explain this to me and/or send me in the direction of literature that I can read to learn about this. Many thanks for your help.

cara

By Neal Walters admin (Admin) on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:33 pm:
    "GUF" (I pronounce it like 'goof', not 'guff')
    can be translated as "body" or "corporeal body".

For instance, in the prayer "YIGDAL" it says:
    EIN LO D'MUT HAGUF V'EINO GUF,
    which translates "He has no semblance
    of a body nor is he corporeal".

In tradition, I have heard that it is the place where souls come down to go into bodies. It is often associated with "reincarnation" which is sprinkled throughout Judaism.

Perhaps your friends saw the movie "The Last Seal", where Demi Moore teams up with a Jewish teenager (who reads Aramaic and Hebrew) to prevent the end of the world (through "love", of course). In that movie, they do pronounce it "GUFF", and the concept is that when the last soul is born into the world, the "GUFF" is empty, and the world is soon to end. The mix in prophecies of either Joel or Amos and Revelation.

I'll look through some of my books and see if I can find a reference or something more definitive than a Hollywood movie!

Neal

By Laura on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 02:17 pm:
    NO where in the bible have a i seen of any body or reincarnation written.
    Laura

http://ohr.edu/ask/ask178.htm

ASK THE RABBI

31 January 1998; Issue #178

Dear Ed,

The "guff" is a term the Talmud uses to refer to the repository of all unborn souls. Literally, the word "guff" means "body."

The Talmud says, "The Son of David (Mashiach) will not arrive until there's no more 'soul' in the 'body.' " This means that there are a certain number of souls in heaven waiting to be born. Until they are born, they wait in a heavenly repository called "the body." The Mashiach won't arrive until every single one of these souls has been born into the physical world.

This teaches that each person is important and has a unique role which only he, with his unique soul, can fulfill. Even a newborn baby brings the Mashiach closer simply by being born.

Sources:

Tractate Yevamot 62a
    Tractate Avodah Zarah 5a

TW, I do not know much about the "Real" GUFF, but it was in the movie "the seventh sign", and when I saw it then it fascinated me.

I found a couple this:

From another message board I think the folklore reference to the hall of souls is called the guff. It is a repository of all souls- supposedly when the last soul is used, the apocolypse will follow. I read about this in a very old Oxford Biblical Apocrypha. It was interesting reading, and used to fairly good effect in the movie, "The Seventh Sign" with Demi Moore. The movie (surprise, surprise) simplified the story a bit. On another note, the albatross is widely held in marine lore to be the spirit of drowned sailors. Hence the mariner's evil fortune for killing one in the poem. It is also one of the first birds one sees when getting close to land. The albatross flies quite far out to sea, so I suppose it would be a good omen when one was heading home.

No too much info to add, but you may for entertainment value, want to check out the movie one day. I enjoyed it.

Thank you for YOUR info.

Illy I liked that movie too. Struck me as somehow "close" to some of the truth possibly..in some way. Vague I know..but vague it is for now.

In a way I think that the guff may converge with what John Lear spoke of about soul machine on the moon. I think..although John was just repeating what he heard..not saying he believed it..that what he said was a representation of much more.

The first time you hear something like what John said..or even to try to imagine what the guff is..you can only be dazed for lack of a better word..I sense later after further knowledge is accrued that I may have some dots to connect in this regard, perhaps someone here already knows..you never know.

I don't really see a machine as we think of a machine being on the moon...that's not to say that something is not there..just it may be like us comprehending on the level of an ant, imagining the ant trying to comprehend how pieces of metal are machined and formed together to create a car...where do we start?

Captain Beyond UnRegistered
    This topic does raise some questions though,as religion comes into play as well as reincarnation.As I understnad it, current theory on reincarnation is that you can reincarnate almost immediately,or there can be quite some time before you come back into a new life.During this holding time,the 'Guff' might be a possible solution.Then again,the guff has not been explained enough for me to comprehend it completely,as it does not address the consciousness,the essence of the soul and what is does during this limbo period.

The 'Guff' as described also assumes that we humans are the only souls involved,and does not address the possibality of us having another former life on another planet,and also it does not address the possability of millions of planets with souls.

I therefore think that the concept of the 'Guff' is a concept that is somewhat based in fact but a concept that has been distorted and manipulated by religion,and we in this life may never know it's true meaning or siginiicance.

CB

Quote Originally Posted by Illyria

I do not know much about the "Real" GUFF, but it was in the movie "the seventh sign", and when I saw it then it fascinated me.
    I watched the movie The Seventh Sign recently on Television...

Interesting Movie with Interesting Information within The Movie including The Guff as well as The End Time Eclipse which IMHO probably was The Double Eclipse at The End of 2003

--- Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beyond View Post
    This topic does raise some questions though,as religion comes into play as well as reincarnation.As I understand it, current theory on reincarnation is that you can reincarnate almost immediately,or there can be quite some time before you come back into a new life.During this holding time,the 'Guff' might be a possible solution.Then again,the guff has not been explained enough for me to comprehend it completely,as it does not address the consciousness,the essence of the soul and what is does during this limbo period.

The 'Guff' as described also assumes that we humans are the only souls involved,and does not address the possibility of us having another former life on another planet,and also it does not address the possibility of millions of planets with souls.

I therefore think that the concept of the 'Guff' is a concept that is somewhat based in fact but a concept that has been distorted and manipulated by religion,and we in this life may never know it's true meaning or significance.

CB
    Personally I tend to agree with what CB has written.

How does one count or keep track of the number of souls in body or in an incarnation? Do they mean only here in this dimension and/or on this planet?

It seems self serving to a preconceived doctrine perhaps...not my area of expertise or forte.

Looking forward to reading other thought.

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

excellent discussion this is quiet interesting onr

This is fascinating, I'm glad I stumbled on it while wandering thru the Archives here
    So I did a few searches, and a link to IW came up as the 4th or 5th choice!
    The Talmud uses this term as the repository of all unborn Souls. I could take that to mean ALL unborn Souls, on however many planets there are!
    After many years I have come to Realize that Organized Religion has nothing to do with following the Higher Path. It is all about controlling people. For me I use the Bible on my Journey along a Higher Path, the Bible, which I study with Jehova's Witnesses which is NOT a Religion.
    Anyway, that said....

I don't know if Jehova creates each soul as....uh...well....here comes the hot button issue...as the infant is conceived or as it is born or something in between in utero....or has he created a certain finite number of Souls, each waiting for a body?

Maybe he has created a certain finite number of Souls and these await in a kind of Body, or place, waiting for a living body.

To answer Alpha's question, well that's a great question? Is there Consciousness yet? If so, maybe we are made to forget whatever we experienced There. Or maybe each Soul is "asleep" in a manner of speaking.

This is really fascinating

Mary and Baby
    Better to have beans and bacon in Peace than cakes and ale in Fear ~ Aesop
    "When they tell you not to panic, that's when you run!"

FaceBook Mary Loedding Sells

Twitter Too

I haven't heard before of a machine on the moon, but that remark reminded me of a passage in "The Key" where the Master describes intelligent machines that use souls. A very creepy thought IMO. I was raised a Mormon and they also believe that souls are waiting in heaven to be born. Their belief is that we are conscious in that state but we forget when we come to earth.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBonnet View Post
    I haven't heard before of a machine on the moon, but that remark reminded me of a passage in "The Key" where the Master describes intelligent machines that use souls. A very creepy thought IMO. I was raised a Mormon and they also believe that souls are waiting in heaven to be born. Their belief is that we are conscious in that state but we forget when we come to earth.
    Hello SeaBonnet and WELCOME to IW!!

welcome2.gif

Are you referring to Strieber's "The Key" or another source?

Whitley Strieber- CENSORED - THE KEY

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

Yes I was referring to Striebers "The Key". I'm not sure how factual that book is but I'll give it this: It put me on a whole new path.

Thread Information